Lifting up the Work of Grassroots Groups and the Organizations Who Believe in Them
Nothing explains our work better than stories of what people are doing in their own neighborhoods and rural communities to make them more inclusive, fair, and sustainable. These local leaders – the “residents” of our “we begin with residents” slogan – are often the backbone of flourishing local communities, or of communities deeply engaged in the struggle to flourish again or for the first time. Their stories are often unsung. This section will lift up their efforts by sharing their stories through videos, documents, and other platforms. Some of these stories also show the role formal philanthropic organizations (often the “grassroots grantmakers” of our name) can play to support these local grassroots efforts.
There is also a growing body of research that investigates the significance of resident-led grassroots work to meaningful local and systemic change. We have collected some examples in this section.
If you have resources that tell your grassroots grantmaking story, or that present your research in this area, please submit them to us so we can consider sharing them with our network.
- Cleveland Neighborhood Connections—Grassroots grantmaking program
- Annie E. Casey Foundation—Atlanta Community Investment Fund
- Vancouver Foundation—Grassroots grantmaking program and application process
- Community Foundation for Greater New Haven—Neighborhood Leadership Grant Program
- The Sprout Fund—Introduction to their work
- ioby— Introduction to their work (crowdfunding)
- Calgary Foundation—“Our City, Our Soul: Five Neighbourhood Stories”
- Calgary Foundation—“Soul of the City Neighbour Grants 2016 Grant Winners Compilation”
- Cleveland Neighborhood Connections—Glenville Neighborhood
- Cleveland Neighborhood Connections—Fresh Camp Youth Voice Project
Articles and Publications
- Vancouver Foundation—Neighborhood Small Grants: Discoveries in Grassroots Grantmaking (6MB PDF)
- Denver Foundation—Celebrating 15 Years of Strengthening Neighborhoods (7MB PDF)
- Brooklyn Community Foundation—What Happens When a Foundation Puts Residents in Charge of Local Grantmaking?
- Introducing Atlanta’s 2016 Community Investment Fund Recipients
- Community Investment Fund Spotlight: Helping Students Make the Grade