1. Never do something for someone that they can do for themselves.
2. Seek out and find a place for the gifts, talents and capacities of others (especially those at the edge) in the community.
3. Offer people opportunities, not services.
4. If you feel you must offer services, offer them with choice by using vouchers.
5. Practice hospitality (and remember that hospitality is not about asking people to share what about them is broken).
– Shared during the July 28, 2009 topical conference call, Fostering Inclusion at the Neighborhood Level.